Braxton Citizens' News, Opinion

Come on Summer…

I am happy to report that I believe I am pretty much back to normal. The only lingering aspect of my illness is that my right ear has a constant ringing, and my already poor hearing is further diminished. But even with that, I’m much better than I was two weeks ago. I have been to the doctor, and she gave me medicine for my ear. She said I will be fine in a few days… I hope she is right.

Jeanine is doing well with her knee replacement. Her physical therapist says she is ahead of the cure. She remains on extremely restricted activity until she returns to the doctor later this week or next. I told her not to get too used to all this being waited on… I’m not sure she heard me, or maybe she doesn’t want to?

We dodged the most intense portion of the storm last week. It would seem that our neighbors to the south caught the brunt of Mother Nature’s wrath.

Obviously, we did have substantial damage. I received an email late last week saying that Governor Jim Justice has amended his State of Emergency to include Boone, Braxton, Calhoun, Doddridge, Gilmer, Harrison, Jackson, Logan, Mingo, Ritchie, Roane, Tyler, Wayne, Wirt counties after severe thunderstorms caused tornados, flooding, downed trees, power outages, and road blockages. The expansion took the total to 26 counties that are under a State of Emergency because of last week’s severe weather.

The weather was a hot topic on social media. One of those items was the delayed opening of Sutton Lake Marina. In preparing for the article on this week’s front page, I spoke with Erica Whitney who now manages the facility. She emphasized that safety was the prime concern. We talked about the fact that the facility had stayed open during the season when the water was even higher than it was this time. She agreed but reminded me that the docks had not been fully awakened from their winter nap, which leaves them in a vulnerable state. She added that her crew would have been fine for an April 15 opening if the storms had not slowed them down.

So, we will just have to wait for one more week for the start of summer. For me that’s when the docks open and we can put boats in.

Actually, our lake group’s plan didn’t include an April 15 launch. Our boats are old and there is always something to do to get them lake-worthy. We are shooting for Saturday, April 27 and I must admit that I am getting anxious…