New Year’s Eve has arrived, and I am reflecting over 2023. It has been an amazing year. As I look back over the year using my camera roll on my phone, I am so grateful for the people I have shared the year with, the places I have visited, and the opportunities I have experienced. The year did not pass without its share of loss, but I am thankful for the love of family and friends.
Some personal highlights from 2023 included serving for the first time in the West Virginia Legislature, Hannah graduating with her master’s and finding a career that she enjoys, completing the Waterfall Trail, and finishing the quest to run all of West Virginia’s 55 Counties. In 2023, I had the opportunity to travel quite a bit and have seen so many beautiful places, including the Grand Canyon. I have enjoyed meeting wonderful people and working in our communities and school.
There are also some West Virginia highlights in 2023 which include the biggest personal tax cut in state’s history, record surpluses, pay raises for state employees, continued investment by Fortune 500 Companies, ongoing road and infrastructure projects, a thriving tourism industry, a new state park, investments in education, and a reorganization of DHHR with the goal to make it run more efficiently, energy diversity, along with future investments in aviation. As we head into 2024, I remain dedicated to the people in our district and state and will continue to strive to help make West Virginia the best place to live, work, play, and raise a family.
The interim schedule has been posted and is as follows:
Sunday, January 7, 2024
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Education
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM/Joint Legislative Committee on Flooding
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Government Operations
- 2:00PM-3:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Government Organization
- 2:00 PM-4:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Education
- 4:00 PM-5:00 PM/Joint Committee on Government and Finance
- 4:00 PM-5:00 PM/Joint Committee on Volunteer Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Services
Monday, January 8, 2024
- 9:00 AM-10:00 AM/Joint Committee on Children and Families
- 9:00 AM-11:00 AM/Joint Standing Committee on Technology and Infrastructure
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Insurance and PEIA
- 12:00 PM-2:00 PM/General Information Session
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM/Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources Subcommittee
- 3:00 PM-5:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Health and Human Resources Accountability
- 4:00 PM-5:00 PM/Commission on Special Investigations
- 5:00 PM-6:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Workforce Development and Labor Issues
- 5:00 PM-6:00 PM/Commission on Interstate Cooperation
Tuesday, January 9, 2024
- 9:00 AM-11:00 AM/Joint Standing Committee on Finance
- 9:00 AM-11:00 AM/Joint Standing Committee on the Judiciary
- 11:00 AM-12:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Committee on Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority
- 11:00 AM-1:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Economic Development and Tourism House
- 1:00 PM-2:00 PM/Joint Legislative Oversight Commission on Dept of Transportation Accountability
- 2:00 PM-3:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Pensions and Retirement
- 3:00 PM-5:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Health
- 4:00 PM-5:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Energy and Manufacturing
Let us look forward to 2024 with hearts full of hope, and a willingness to work toward the goals we set and along the way and to do some good for others.
“Approach the New Year with resolve to find the opportunities hidden in each new day.”
The Legislative Session begins on January 10th and concludes on March 9th. I look forward to hearing from people in the district and hope to see you out and about enjoying all the great things our area has to offer. I can be contacted at lori.dittman@ wvhouse.gov or 304-701-8600.