Veterans Day is a federal holiday in the United States that honors military veterans who served in the United States Armed Forces. Veterans Day is observed annually on November 11th. With a heart full of gratitude, thank you to all the veterans who have served our country. We are grateful for your service and sacrifice.
“Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility.”
Because you have answered the call to serve, we as citizens have a responsibility to continue the work of freedom by being involved in our communities and staying informed.
The Annual Veterans Day Parade will be in Gassaway on Saturday, November 11th. The lineup will start at 10:00 am with the parade starting at 11:00 am. Please come out and honor our Veterans.
This past week I attended SEMA, Specialty Equipment Market Association, with a delegation from the West Virginia Legislature. Together we were able to meet with close to seven hundred companies to invite them to expand their businesses to West Virginia. I spoke with two companies that wanted more information about the tax structure and business opportunities. I heard encouraging comments that it was good that West Virginia was taking a proactive role in recruiting businesses from states that are more difficult to operate a business. Hopefully, we will see more businesses make their home in the Mountain State.
While at SEMA, I learned that nationally the total economic output for the industry is $336.91 billion, supports 1,333,658 total jobs, and supports jobs in other industries such as manufacturing, transportation and communications, travel and entertainment, agriculture, and construction. In West Virginia, the total economic output is $1.33 billion, 5,368 totals jobs, $347.56 million total wages and benefits, and $146.28 million total taxes paid. In the 63rd District, the figures are $7.80 million in total economic output, 41 total jobs, and $2.58 million in total wages and benefits.
In October, Governor Justice announced collections were $7.4 million above estimates due to personal income taxes of $189.3 million and corporation net income taxes of $26.3 million. So far, the state has collected $1.808 billion and is $242.2 million above estimate.
Congratulations to Natalie Barr for becoming the first Glenville State University Pioneer in the school’s Cross County history to earn All-Region recognition! Fall sports are beginning to wind down. Soon it will be time to fill stands for basketball games and wrestling matches. I’m wishing Glenville State University student athletes, and athletes in both Braxton County and Gilmer County have successful winter sport seasons.
Interim meetings are scheduled for November 12th-14th in Wheeling. The schedule is as follows:
Sunday, November 12th
- 12:00-1:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Insurance and PEIA
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Parks, Recreation and Natural Resources
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Technology and Infrastructure
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Health and Human Resources Accountability
- :30-4:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Health
- 2:30-4:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Workforce Development and Labor Issues
Monday, November 13th
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Government Organization
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Education
- 2:30-4:00 PM/Select Committee on Veterans’ Affairs
- 2:30-4:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability
- 4:00-5:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Finance
- 4:00-5:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on the Judiciary
Tuesday, November 14th
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Joint Committee on Government and Finance
- 1:00-2:30 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Energy and Manufacturing
- 2:30-4:00 PM/Joint Standing Committee on Economic Development and Tourism
- 2:30-4:00 PM/Legislative Oversight Committee on Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority
- 4:00-5:30/PM Subcommittee for Joint Committee on Volunteer Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Services
On a personal note, I would like to wish my beloved husband, Will Dittman, a Happy Birthday. He is incredibly supportive, a wonderful husband, father, and friend, and I hope he has an amazing year.
I look forward to hearing from people in the district and hope to see you out and about enjoying all the great things our area has to offer. I can be contacted at lori.dittman@wv house.gov or 304-701-8600.