I had the pleasure of attending the Braxton County Farm Bureau’s annual meeting and covered dish dinner. Among the locals that were there, Farm Bureau Administrator Steve Butler spoke to the crowd about Farm Bureau insurance, national and state policy issues such as the right to farm and not limiting farmers and carbon capture programs. I appreciate that the Farm Bureau is the voice of agriculture in the Mountain State, and I look forward to working with them in the upcoming legislative session and supporting the farm industry.
Although the sky was cloudy with rain Saturday morning, enthusiasm at the Glenville State University Homecoming parade remained strong. I enjoyed participating and seeing so many smiling faces. Congratulations to the Pioneers Football Team on the win!
West Virginia was selected as a site for a new hydrogen hub with $925 million in federal support. The Appalachian Regional Clean Hydrogen (ARCH2) will cover parts of West Virginia, southeastern Ohio, and southwestern Pennsylvania. The Department of Energy stated that the hub is expected to create more than 18,000 construction jobs and over 3,000 permanent jobs.
Interim meetings begin Sunday, but I will be attending The Center for the Advancement of Leadership Skills (CALS). I am excited for the opportunity and am looking forward to meeting the other legislators from the 2023 class and the four days of intensive leadership programing.
The October Interim Schedule is as follows. You may listen to committee meetings on the WV Legislature webpage.
Sunday, October 15
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Pensions and Retirement – Agenda Senate Finance
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM Joint Legislative Committee on Flooding – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Legislative Oversight Commission on Education Accountability – Agenda Senate Finance
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Post Audits Subcommittee Senate Finance
- 4:00 PM – 6:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Economic Development and Tourism – Agenda House Gov. Org.
Monday, October 16
- 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Joint Standing Committee on Finance – Agenda House Gov. Org.
- 9:00 AM- 11:00 AM Joint Standing Committee on the Judiciary – Agenda Senate Chamber
- 11:00 AM – 12:00 PM Commission on Interstate Cooperation – Agenda Senate Finance
- 11:00 AM 12:00 PM Select Committee on Veterans’ Affairs – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 12:00 PM – 2:00 PM General Session – Medical Research Culture Center
- 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Energy and Manufacturing – Agenda House Gov. Org.
- 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Health – Agenda Senate Chamber
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Commission on Special Investigations Senate Finance
- 4:00 PM – 5:00 PM Legislative Oversight Committee on Regional Jail and Correctional Facility Authority – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Government Operations – Joint Meeting House Gov. Org.
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Government Organization – Joint Meeting– Agenda House Gov. Org.
- 5:00 PM – 7:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Education – Agenda Senate Chamber
Tuesday, October 17, 2023
- 9:00 AM – 11:00 AM Legislative Oversight Commission on Health and Human Resources Accountability – Agenda Senate Finance
- 9:00 AM – 10:00 AM Forest Management Review Commission – Agenda House Education
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM Committee on Veterans Affairs and Homeland Security – Agenda House Gov. Org.
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM Legislative Oversight Commission on Workforce Development and Labor Issues – Agenda House Judiciary
- 10:00 AM – 11:00 AM Joint Legislative Oversight Commission on Dept of Transportation Accountability – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 11:00 AM – 1:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Technology and Infrastructure – Agenda House Gov. Org.
- 12:00 PM – 1:00 PM Joint Committee on Children and Families – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Joint Committee on Government and Finance – Agenda Senate Finance
- 1:00 PM – 2:00 PM Joint Committee on Volunteer Fire Departments and Emergency Medical Services – Agenda Senate Judiciary
- 2:00 PM – 3:00 PM Joint Standing Committee on Insurance and PEIA – Agenda Senate Chamber
- 2:00 PM – 4:00 PM Agriculture and Rural Development – Agenda House Judiciary
I received word today that a heart had become available for Braxton OES Director John Hoffman. I ask everyone to keep him in your prayers for a successful transplant and a full recovery. I also ask that you pray for the family of the donor. In their grief and loss, they gave the gift of life.
Braxton County lost a treasured native son this past week. Jesse Corlis was talented and kind. His murals are found all over our state and region. Notably for Braxton County, his mural depicting the history of Gassaway is on the wall at the park in town. As his family celebrates his life and lays him to rest, please pray for them for comfort.
As the war continues in the Middle East, I continue to pray for the victims of the terrorist attack in Israel and for peace to come soon.
”Imagine all the people living life in peace. You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one. I hope someday you’ll join us and the world will be as one.”
I look forward to hearing from people in the district and hope to see you out and about enjoying all the great things our area has to offer. I can be contacted at lori.dittman@ wvhouse.gov or 304-701-8600.