Community, The Braxton Democrat

Carbon Monoxide Leak at Local Hotel Sends 7 to Hospital

Over 60 guests were evacuated from the Microtel Inn and Suites located just off the 62 Exit of I-79 between Gassaway and Sutton on Sunday after carbon monoxide was detected in the early morning hours of May 26th.
According to John Hoffman, Braxton County OES Director, 60 people were guests of the local facility on May 26 at about 2:00 a.m. when the alarm was sounded. Sutton, Gassaway, and Flatwoods Volunteer Fire Departments along with Braxton Emergency Ambulance Service responded to the emergency.
Seven patrons were taken to the hospital. The balance of those exposed were evaluated for possible CO poisoning by first responders at the scene.
According to a local television station, as of Monday afternoon, six of the patients treated by Braxton Memorial Hospital have been released. The seventh remains hospitalized and had been transferred to CAMC for further evaluation, according to Angela S. Jones, Assistant Vice President of Media and Marketing Communications of WVU Medicine. There is no additional information available on the patient taken to CAMC or if they were still hospitalized.
Members of the Gassaway, Flatwoods and Sutton Volunteer Fire Departments were on scene alongside the WV State Fire Marshal and aided in identifying the source of the carbon monoxide. The leak was repaired, and the facility reopened for business on Monday. The cause is still under investigation, but officials have deemed the facility safe for occupancy.