Government, The Braxton Democrat

Fleeing Suspect Rams Multiple Police Cruisers

The Braxton County Sheriff’s Office responded to a reckless driver complaint on I-79 Sunday, June 30 which resulted in high-speed chase that span nearly 20 miles and resulted in significant damage to three police cruisers.
The ordeal began when Deputy L.G. Cochran responded to the complaint and located the described vehicle near the 72-mile marker of I-79. According to the criminal complaint, the officer observed the yellow Dodge truck cross the center line as well as the outside white line on multiple occasions before he initiated the traffic stop. When the officer attempted to stop the vehicle the lone occupant of the truck refused to yeld and sped up passing multiple cars while traveling south on I-79. Deputy A.C. Jordan joined the chase and maneuvered his cruiser in front of the truck attempting to block it from fleeing. Cpl. Shingleton of the West Virginia State Police joined the pursuit which still didn’t deter the driver of the truck.
Around the 62-mile marker the truck driver attempted to pass the police vehicles striking Cpl. Shingleton’s cruiser causing significant damage. Troopers, Jones, Garrett and Wiley joined the pursuit.
The truck attempted to avoid officers near the 58-mile marker by crossing the median and heading north. Police agencies also changed direction and continued their efforts to stop the fleeing suspect.
Deputies Jordan and Cochran got in front of the truck in an attempt by officers to box in the truck. The truck served and struck Cochran’s cruiser causing significant damage to a second police vehicle.
The truck driver hit Deputy Cochran’s cruiser a second time before exiting 79 at Exit 62. Deputy Jordan eventually immobilized the suspect’s truck on Route 4.
The suspect, later identified as Shawn Paul Camp, 37 of Waterford, PA., refused orders to exit the vehicle and resisted arrest before being taken into custody.
Officers observed empty beer cans, drug paraphernalia and the strong odor of alcohol during the apprehension.
During subsequent processing officers obtained a warrant and took Camp to the local hospital to have blood drawn to test for impairment.
Camp was arraigned before Braxton County Magistrate Beth Smith on charges of obstructing an officer, fleeing from officers, making false statements to officers, and interfering with emergency communications. Magistrate Smith set Camp’s bond at $25,000 cash only. He is currently lodged in the Central Regional Jail in lieu of that bond awaiting additional court appearances.