Braxton Citizens' News, Opinion

Is summer here???

I would like to be optimistic; I hope summer is finally on its way. The rate my grass is growing certainly is a positive indicator.

My weekend, at least Saturday, was a busy one. I got up way before dawn to be at the Hospital by 5:30 a.m. for Rotary’s Blood Screening. It went very well, and we finished on time. So, at 10:00 a.m. I headed to the dry storage area where Jamie and Doug were working on boats. Doug was installing a new freshwater tank which they was finishing up when I got there. We moved to Bob Smith’s boat to help him with a tarp. Maybe I should qualify that statement… I watched Doug and Jamie help Bob.

Doug aired the tires on all of our trailers in anticipation of next weekend’s launch. They had uncovered my boat earlier in the week so there were just a few little things to do to get it ready.

I’m going to be on the sidelines for that event as well. I have a date this Thursday with a surgeon to repair an umbilical hernia. I won’t be allowed to lift anything for four weeks. Jamie and Doug have assured me that they take care of everything. While this will be the first time that I haven’t been a participant, the idea of just watching is growing on me. I think I might even like this transition.

Of course, I don’t know exactly how I will feel after the procedure so I might not even be on site. We’ll just have to wait and see. I must admit that I am anxious to get back on track. I developed this hernia in 2019 when I had covid for the first time from coughing. It didn’t bother me until about six months ago and now it’s a real nuisance.

We finished our boat duties by launching the pontoon boat that Doug and I own together. We figured that since we (they) will be launching several boats on Friday and Saturday it might come in handy if any of them need a tow.

We all got together at Mary Hunt’s house where she treated us to a delicious dinner and we pre-planned next weekend’s launch. Now the question is… will they decide that it was easier without me? I finished out the weekend in my easy chair… practicing my post-surgery routine