Braxton Citizens' News, Town Meeting

Sutton Town Council conducts busy session

The Sutton Town Council held their most recent meeting on August 25.

Mayor JD Hoover opened the meeting with a shout out to the town crew for their hard work cleaning up around the community after the recent storms. He informed council members work has begun on the fall festival and the Christmas parade. Mayor Hoover also updated on the status of the old buildings on Main Street. The lawyer is getting the deed prepared for the property transfer.

Three individuals spoke to council with their concerns. First was Billy White, he thanked the council for the opportunity to work for them and for finding his weedeater. He asked the council consider re-hiring him to work for the town.

Next to speak was Jeffrey Sutton. He spoke to council about his concerns with the ditch filling up with trash on South First Street and potholes on that street. He stated he spoke with Chief Shane Boggs with his concerns where the trash was coming from. Steve Facemire stated he would look into the pothole issue.

Marilyn Johnson asked Steve Facemire if he had the opportunity to take photos and look at property on Town Hill over concerns with water. The councilman stated he had but he didn’t feel the paving on North Laurel Street affected the water runoff. He stated the amount of rain in such a short period of time led to water issues throughout the town. He did say the town will monitor the situation.

Facemire also noted the alley on Town Hill next to the school is scheduled for paving. The paving company is waiting on asphalt to become available as it is in short supply and the state road jobs are a priority to receive the material.

Facemire also went on to discuss the lack of proper maintenance on the drains and ditches throughout the town over the last several years. He discussed need for better equipment in order to complete work but the town would need a secure storage facility before purchasing such items.

Municipal Clerk Robin Smith informed council the yearly inspection of the recycling truck was scheduled for the following week. Repair on the damage door is scheduled but not until after the inspection.

Council member Jon Crum told council he looked at the drainage issue coming off of Town Hill after the recent storm and had a video of the water flow.

Mayor Hoover discussed the damage done to Industrial Circle and the need to stabilize filler to keep it from happening again. Council discussed contacting a company that does that type of work and getting a quote.

Chief Shane Boggs updated the council on the police department since the last meeting. His department has issued 23 citations and impounded six vehicles.
The SWAT training that was originally scheduled had been cancelled. One of the instructors has been injured and unable to do the training. Chief Boggs and Officer Jonathan Sergeon attended active shooter training with the FBI instead.

Chief Boggs also noted several warrants have been served and the municipal court will start issuing warrants for arrest for those individuals failing to pay for citations.

Jon Crum informed council that it had been brought to his attention that the air compressor units for the AC were not located on town property. He discussed looking into that issue further and the property boundaries.

Beth Atkins briefly informed council on the Elk River Trail meeting that was held on August 23.

She updated council on the banners for the poles in town. The brackets will cost $84 per set and the town will need at least 20. The banners can be done by Sports Connection in Gassaway and an affordable cost depending on the design.

Atkins also noted she had someone to develop a QR code that will take individuals to the town website. Council discussed possibly getting stickers with code imprinted on them.

Catherine Hoover told the council she had been in contact with Shelia Butler at the County Clerk’s officer concerning the election ordinances. She asked Butler to speak to council at the September 22 meeting.

Jon Crum noted the version three of the ordinances had been emailed to council members for input and comments. He asked that each member look at the ordinances related to their committee.

Under regular business, the council approved the minutes of August 11 meeting and the payment of bills on two separate motions made by Steve Facemire.

Council approved to advertise for bids to sell the Crown Victoria on a motion by Steve Facemire with a second by Robyn Dolan. Also approved was to advertise to have the roof inspected on a motion by Steve Facemire with a second by Recorder Laurel Petolicchio.

Council went into executive session at 6:49 pm to discuss personnel issues. They reconvened at 8:02 pm.

On a motion by Recorder Laurel Petolicchio with a second by Beth Atkins, council approved purchase safety vest for the Municipal Judge and Municipal Clerk.

Council approved to terminate employment of Jason Rose effective immediately on a motion by Recorder Petolicchio with a second by Steve Facemire. Also approved by council was the motion by Catherine Hoover with a second by Beth Atkins to raise the pay of Officer Sergeon from $15 to $20 per hour.

The meeting was adjourned at 8:04 pm.